Friday, April 15, 2011

Book Review: Stitch 'N Bitch Crochet

Many people have asked me where I learned to crochet. My answer? I taught myself. No really, I did, all with this wonderful book that I found called Stitch ’N  Bitch Crochet: The Happy Hooker by Debbie Stoller.
This book is amazing. When I tell people I learned from a book they always say I can never learn anything like that just by reading. This book makes it easy; the instructions are very detailed and have pictures to help. The pictures are actually helpful, not those pictures where you look at them and wonder what’s going on.


This book is more than just a how-to book. It starts with a little history of the art of crochet explaining where it came from, and then it teaches you about everything you about the tools and different types of yarn. It starts you off teaching the basics and the basic stitches and then some of the more decorative stitches and techniques. Everything is written in a fun to read easy going dialog which keeps you entertained unlike other how to books.

The best part is that it includes 40 patterns of the most amazing clothing and accessories from sweaters to bikinis to handbags. Yes, I did say a crocheted bikini. Never followed a crochet pattern before? That’s ok; it gives an explanation on how to read a pattern before you start. I wish I had a picture of something I made from this book but everything I did were gifts and I never thought to take one. It has this super adorable pattern for fuzzy bunny slippers which I’m dying to try so hopefully I will soon.




In my opinion every crocheter needs this book in their crafting library. Not a crocheter? Buy it anyway and try. Trust me, it’s addictive. Knitter? Debbie Stoller has other books in her Stitch ’N Bitch series: The Knitter’s Handbook, Superstar Knitting, Stitch ’N Bitch Nation, and Son of Stitch ’N Bitch. I have not read any of the other books. Tried knitting many times and it has not worked for me, I'll stick to crocheting for now. Maybe if I read The Knitter's Handbook it will be my breakthrough to knitting success!

No comments: