Saturday, April 30, 2011

Generation T: Beyond Fashion {Review}

For my birthday my husband got me the book I have been wanting for some time. Generation T: Beyond Fashion 120 new ways to fashion a T-shirt by Megan Nicolay. I subscribe to the Threadbanger podcast on iTunes and a few episodes talked about this book, after checking it out online, I knew I wanted it.


The first chapter of the book titled “getting technical” gives you a short and sweet overview of all the techniques used in the book such as different knots, hand sewing stitches and even a little how to on resizing a t shirt to fit, which was my favorite part of this chapter.

If you are visual and need lots of pictures this is a good book for you. All the patterns have an illustration for each step in the process and an actual picture (B&W) of the finished project. Speaking of pictures, in the center of the book there are color photos of all the projects being modeled off. I think that was one of my favorite parts of the book because it totally helps to see the finished product in use.

The projects have a little bit of everything: redesigned clothing, accessories, stuff for your house (and car), baby things, even stuff for the guy in your life. One thing I thought when flipping through this book was that I got it too late; it even had two designs on how to turn a regular oversized t-shirt into a nice looking maternity top.

This is the second book by Megan Nicolay. Her first, Generation T: 108 Ways to Refashion a T-Shirt, is now on my wish list after seeing how fun this book is. [Yes I know I’m backwards, getting the second book first] You can even try before you buy, the Generation T website has some of the projects from the books and a few that are not.



Photo coutresy of Generation T

No comments: